Headquarters: Washington, DC
WP Buffs is the very best technical support partner for any individual, business or organization with a WordPress website. Building strong and long-lasting relationships with our customers is our highest priority. We're looking to add a team member who can make the priorities of our customers their own. Your ultimate goals are happy customers and magnificent WordPress websites. Boom!
"WP Buffs is not for everybody. If you're looking for a job that will let you coast, get away with being lazy and not be a team player, you wouldn't last long here. If you're ready to commit to a great team for the long-term, take the next step in your WordPress career and ditch the traditional 9-5, we're looking forward to seeing what you're made of. Booyah!" - Joe Howard, Head Buff
- You will take the lead on technical support. This position is the very first line of technical support for the majority of our customers when they need edits to their website. That's why you're someone who understands that fast and effective work is paramount. Our customers already have fully-functioning WordPress websites; it's your job to make sure any edits they need are taken care of quickly and effectively.
- You will help manage hosting. Of course you're an expert when it comes to the WordPress dashboard, but you also know your way around hosting dashboards for providers like WP Engine, Kinsta, GoDaddy, SiteGround. Regardless of the hosting provider, you can create new FTP credentials and make adjustments via any hosting dashboard.
- You will build relationships with our customers. This position is the very first line of contact for the majority of our customers when they need edits to their website. That's why you're someone who always wants to put a smile on somebody's face. Our customers already have fully-functioning WordPress websites; it's your job to make sure any edits they need are taken care of.
- You will help on-board new customers. This amounts to a large checklist of tasks required for all new customers and is something you will be trained to do. Your job will be to execute everything correctly to secure, speed up and provide ongoing support for all our customers as well as provide guidance on how to improve these systems and checklists.
- If you excel, you will manage a team of WordPress developers. Management experience is not a requirement for this position. But we are looking for someone who has the ability to step back from the technical execution and manage the work of other developers at some point.
The types of support requests range from highly technical (speed optimization via Pingdom suggestions) to very straight-forward (CSS changes). Simple edits will be completed within minutes while advanced changes may take longer; it's your job to communicate effectively with our customers and set the right expectations.
The types of customer interactions range from highly technical to conversational. You will mostly deal with folks who are not very WordPress saavy, but there are some who are. That's why you understand your job is to provide answers, insights and solutions, not send customers somewhere else to find help.
Even more important than your responsibilities is how you fit into our team here at WP Buffs. Living and breathing our values and principles is an absolute requirement for any new recruit.
Everything we do is driven by our customers and white-label partners. Our aim is to help as many website owners and digital agencies with WordPress as possible. The goal is to get so many people comfortable with WordPress that it powers 51% of the internet.
You can read all about our values here (https://wpbuffs.com/about-us/
). They're completely public so that we're accountable for living up to them and our customers can hold us to these standards.
OUR TEAM FOUNDATIONS
- Create an environment of trust: It’s hard to be vulnerable and unless we create an environment of trust, we won’t take risks. Asking for help and admitting mistakes resolves problems much more quickly.
- Have healthy conflict: It’s important that everyone feel safe to disagree. It hurts the company and the mission to never push each other to make better decisions.
- Commit to decisions: Once a decision has been made, the team commits to support it fully.
- Accountability to decisions: We are accountable to decisions, deadlines and commitments. Our decisions affect other people (team, customers, etc) and we are each responsible for owning what we commit to.
- Focus on results: We are measured by our output, not our input. The process matters much less than the product of that process. Results are our measure of success.
The hiring process looks like:
After an initial screening, you'll get an email with a few questions to answer. Following that, you'll have a few video chats with different people on our team to learn more about you and answer any questions you have about the position and company.
If this goes well, we'll invite you to join our team and start your 30-day trial. During this period you'll work hourly as a contractor. This gives you an opportunity to make sure you enjoy the work and the team. Also it gives us an opportunity to evaluate your work. We'll have regular chats each week to share feedback and make sure we're on the same page. At the end of the 30 days, you'll be offered a permanent position if all goes well.
This position is a great fit for someone who:
- Understands the structural functionality of WordPress
- Is confident in their ability to deliver edits within 3-6 hours for 90% of edits
- Is a self-starter who loves to deliver sustainable solutions
- Enjoys tackling a wide variety of problems over a large range of topics
- Demonstrates an ability to adapt and incorporate feedback from others
- Has experience troubleshooting simple WordPress and hosting issues
- Is a fast learner
- Is excited about working with a remote team
- Wants a flexible job that's not a traditional 9-5
- Appreciates emojis and gifs
- Firm grasp of the English language through email support
- Minimum 3 years in WordPress
- Available 5 days a week (Sat-Sun for emergencies)
- Responds to new support tickets assigned to them within minutes
- Regular WordCamp attendee, speaker, volunteer or organizer
- Time management skills
- Experience making basic and advanced changes via the WordPress dashboard and FTP
- Experience troubleshooting issues within the WordPress dashboard
- Experience logging into + moving around hosting provider dashboards
Success in this position looks like:
- Timely completion of ticket edits (3-6 hours for 90% of tickets)
- Timely communication with customers on their questions and issues
- Timely resolution or escalation of issues where appropriate
- Up-to-date notes and information on customer records
- You're fun to work with and everyone who works with you has a better day because of it
What we expect:
- Confident and positive engagement with the WP Buffs team
- Active participation in WP Buffs internal team chat
- Feedback and contribution to the team so we can all learn
- Eagerness to learn
- Transparency with workload or needs
- Ability to turn constructive criticism into improved performance
- You must be able to give feedback as well as take it. Honest communication is crucial to our team
Tools we use:
These are the software tools you'll need to be (or become) proficient in:
- Teamwork Projects
- Teamwork Desk
- Teamwork Chat
Salary: $38K-$45K based on experience.
- Work remotely
- Travel budget
- Unlimited vacation
- Flexible work schedule
- Healthcare, vision and dental
- 401k matching (coming soon)
- Unlimited books (100% reimbursement)
- Standing desk, headphones, other work equipment (100% reimbursement)
- Gym pass (100% reimbursement)
- Coworking space (100% reimbursement)
We support workplace diversity and do not discriminate on any protected class. We believe when we work together as a team of different views, experiences, and ideas, we can build amazing things.
To apply: If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you. Please email us the following at email@example.com to apply: 1) Who are you? 2) What's your favorite post from the WP Buffs blog and why? 3) What was your last big adventure? 4) What's your next big adventure? 5) What's your favorite WordCamp memory? 6) What's the most fun technical challenge you've faced recently and how did you find a solution? (please go into technical detail) 7) How much time are you able to dedicate to this position? 8) Why do you want to work for WP Buffs? Why not companies like WP Site Care, Maintainn or GoWP? 9) A link to your GitHub profile (if you have one) 10) What's your favorite emoji? 💩