Please be aware this job posting is over 1 month old, and is likely not accepting any more applicants
Headquarters: Not applicable, fully remote organization
The focus of this role is the ongoing function and consistent
uptime of core CC services (e.g., website, comms tools, license tools
and related legal products, fundraising, etc.). This position will also
collaborate with the product team to provide DevOps support for CC
products such as CC Search, and support the integration of CC products
into existing infrastructure. And it involves support for staff hardware
and software including laptop systems, email and collaboration tools,
Responsibilities include:System Administration
- Manage servers and the software running on them (for example
GNU/Linux, WordPress, MediaWiki, Discourse), provisioning, updating and
replacing them as needed.
- Implementations and uptime of main website, G-suite, Slack,
mailing lists, wiki, donation infrastructure, communications
infrastructure, Github repos, and other core services.
- Support, tune, automate, scale, maintain, and document our
operating processes including builds, code deployment, patch management,
and troubleshooting of issues.
- Support ongoing maintenance and enhancement of CC programs,
including development of CC’s WordPress- and Python-based sites and
services (e.g., Network site, Main website, etc), license translations,
and the CC Certificate site (WordPress, Canvas).
- Handle problems from communication to implementing solutions, to post-mortems and process changes to prevent recurrence.
- Archive, maintain and integrate old hardware.
Project management and collaboration
- Help coordinate on-site and remote desktop support occasionally, as needed.
- Manage Google Apps and staff laptop services (backups, provisioning, VPN).
- Manage cloud services (Gandi, CloudFlare, AWS, rsync.net, Bytemark etc.) including configuration and billing.
- Incorporate/recover old staff systems and data.
- Act as point of contact and, if needed, manager for
contractors on prioritisation of, requirements gathering for and
completion of contractor projects.
- Share plans and work-in-progress openly with CC’s community
and partners, respond to feedback, and encourage contribution and
leadership among volunteers.
- Support the translations process with Legal and the global
network, integrating and deploying new translations and
supporting/developing the tools used to do so.
- Work with Legal to Ensure compliance with data protection law and best practice across our platforms.
- Prioritize tasks effectively and avoid surprises for your colleagues, community, and partners.
- Ensure that the need for additional contractors or in-house
capabilities is raised and resolved in good time to handle any projected
workload above that which can be handled in-house.
We believe that diverse teams build better organizations and
better services. Applications from qualified candidates from all
backgrounds, including those from under-represented communities, are
very welcome. Creative Commons works as part of a global community,
guided by collaboratively developed codes of conduct and anti-harassment
policies.Work Environment and Location
Creative Commons is a distributed organization. This position
is available to applicants working in the range of the Eastern to
Pacific time zones, in a remote working environment. You must have
reasonable mobility for necessary travel, including twice-annual
all-staff meetings and the Global Summit, and high-speed broadband
access. Laptop/desktop computer and necessary resources are supplied.Salary and Benefits
Creative Commons is a leading non-profit employer, offering
competitive salaries and benefits, including health and wellness plans,
annual retirement contributions, and a positive, supportive work
To apply: Please email your resume as a PDF to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject heading of “Core Systems Manager/ [Last Name].”