Please be aware this job posting is over 1 month old, and is likely not accepting any more applicants
What we're building
Scratchpay provides pet parents with simple friendly payment plans. We help pet parents to provide the care their pets need, easing the financial barrier. We are growing fast in the veterinary space and Veterinarian, Pet owners and pets across the US love us! Come help us help more pets!
About the position
This is about building the ecosystem for Scratchpay. Building micro-services, building the backbone and the organs of Scratchpay services so we can deliver the best experience to our borrowers and clinics.
This is about pushing the edge of what has been done in Finance and Lending to build a scalable platform that can serve all-the-pets. However many (but the more the merrier). This is about working with a brilliant team that's been growing from 0 to 1 in 2 years and that is helping pets in 47 states in the US.
This job is for you if you recognize yourself in this:
- I am a good mind
- I can think for myself
- I am critical of myself and others
- I am always respectful
- I ask questions when needed
- I can understand the boundaries but have a lot of fun within them
- I take my work seriously and never let down people
- I work hard because I want to do the best that I can right now
- I always observe and reflect on how to do better tomorrow
- I like animals
- Strong coding skills, ability to use TDD if needed (hint: it will)
- Ability to design, write and test code, algorithms, whether in the front-end, back-end, you-name-it (Cloud Functions?)
- Ability to switch between languages, not vendor-locked-in
- A principled approach to development. You should be opinionated but you should be die-hard about your opinions because after all, maybe you're wrong (but maybe not?)
- The understanding that any one line of code written can lead to catastrophic consequences if not thought out carefully! (Am not kiddin', just look at the heartbleed security issue)
- Ability to switch between frameworks (front-end, back-end, you-name-it)
- An eye for design and a good front-end skills. Maybe not pixel perfect level but the ability to develop something that will look good and work across devices
- Understanding what is color theory and domain driven design
- Knowing what Agile and Scrum are
- Build services using TDD practice
- Work within a Scrum team of fun and talented people
- Design and implement systems
- Run tests, find issues, escalate, discuss solutions
- Work in a highly scalable cloud computing environment with the difficulties scalability brings
- Build a platform and an ecosystem of services that will in turn make for a great UX for pet parents and clinics!
- Build, deploy and maintain your own work
- Learn anything you feel like that's necessary for the job, however challenging, however you like it
- Be part of an exciting adventure
How to know if you are a good fit?
You will have to:
- Have empathy;
- Understanding the position of others is critical. It is necessary to navigate through communication, mitigation and the culture
- Be independent;
- Yet know when to raise a point or ask for a clarification or escalate a potential issue
- Speak your mind and expect others to. Engage in respectful and mindful conflict. Quality > quantity.
- Know your stuff and know what you don't know;
- No one is perfect but everyone can learn. Be humble enough to know your weaknesses. Be open minded and hard working enough to be able to fix them.
- Take constructive critics;
- Ask yourself "how to know if I'm wrong?". You may not, but not challenging your thinking is unhealthy. We challenge each other a lot @Scratchpay.
We care about the human aspect of work and we expect others to. Excellence is also an important keyword @ Scratchpay. While everyone makes mistakes, we learn from them. We are conscious about efficiency and effectiveness in the positive way. We don't do things that bring low-to-no value short or long term. We also do hard things that bring a lot of value. Quality, attention to detail and respect are some of the traits you must have and expect others to have.
- We are a team of dedicated, hard working, friendly individuals
- We move fast, sometimes break things with measure, we give a second chance
- We give constructive feedback, we challenge each other
- We are open-minded and we care for each other
- Everyone is striving towards excellence. Mediocrity isn't our cup of tea. But we always work hard to help those that are willing to get there!
- Everything goes fast and the ultimate goal is to move the business fast. There can be disconnects in the communication at times. We all need to navigate through this and push whenever it is critical to do so.
- We are open-minded but things need to be moving forward.
- We say what we have to. So expect to hear some unpleasant - but true - things sometimes. Don't hesitate to argue back - with respect - if you disagree.
- Like any startup, It can be a mess some days. You also will likely have to do things that aren't in your scope sometimes. Part of the fun, right? ;)
The most important is: We are always looking at improving. All the time, step by step. If you feel mediocre and don't see a path to improvement or can't listen to others' voice to, please do not apply.