Please be aware this job posting is over 1 month old, and is likely not accepting any more applicants
We’re growing and looking for a Full Stack Rails Developer to join our passionate and talented team. We’re specifically looking for someone to join our remote team working in the Central European timezone, and who is fluent in both Polish and English.
You’ll be part of our 15 member development team working to:
- Plan, implement, test, and ship new features
- Architect and deploy new infrastructure
- Investigate performance issues and execute improvements
- Analyze technology proposals and advise
- Hunt down bugs and fix root causes
- Support the efforts of our design, front-end, support, and marketing teams
You’re enthusiastic, have high standards and a keen attention to detail, and you instinctively take ownership of your work. You’re excited at the idea of writing software that will be simple, easy to grok, but also performant and scalable when appropriate. Some examples of recently launched development projects:
- Supporting our Front-End Developers as they transition existing interfaces to React+Redux
- Implementing client proofing pages for users to service their clients
- Launching v2 of our JSON API to support our Lightroom plugin and Theme development platforms
- Integrating Webtype fonts to allow users to use them on their portfolios
- Transitioning our platform to enforce SSL for all requests
Every member of our team is expected to ship top-notch work and take complete ownership of their responsibilities. In return, this is an incredible opportunity to get down into the trenches of a growing business and product, work with cutting-edge technologies, be immersed in a seriously awesome company culture, and solve challenging problems daily.
- You have 3+ years experience building complex web applications.
- You would be perfectly comfortable modifying a jQuery library or writing a custom Ruby gem and bundling it into your own project.
- You are very comfortable with Git and GitHub.
- You enjoy the idea of deploying your own code on your first day of work and being responsible for what happens.
- You are passionate about user experience, whether that means multiple iterations to deliver a simple yet powerful UI, or an API which even the most novice developer could master.
- You are obsessive about reducing operational overhead whenever and wherever possible.
- You can make informed technology and implementation decisions and justify them.
- You can accurately set and meet deadlines.
Bonus Points if:
- You have a deep understanding of Git.
- You’re comfortable writing and modifying React/Redux.
- You’re familiar with Lua.
- You enjoy debating with others to advocate for what you think is best.
- You enjoy tinkering with new and interesting technologies for evaluation.
As this is a remote position, we're looking for someone well-suited to remote work. You should:
- Be willing to come visit us in Toronto once in awhile (travel paid by us, of course).
- Be comfortable with a workday that overlaps at least a few hours daily with our timezone (EST).
- Be comfortable working independently and able to set your own priorities.
- Have a propensity towards action. You don't like waiting for someone to wake up on the other side of the world and you'll figure out how to move forward on your own
- Be a great written communicator. Most of your interaction with the rest of the company will be over Slack, e-mail, and other messages.
- We use Mac computers. You should have your own Mac computer or be willing to purchase one and we are happy to help you do so if need be.
Launched in 2008, Format.com has quietly become the leading online portfolio builder for professional visual artists around the world to exhibit, market and sell their work. Situated in the neighbourhood of Parkdale, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, with 45+ team members, tens of thousands of customers in over 190 countries, and voted the #1 online portfolio by photographers, designers and artists, we’ve come a long way, but have really only just begun.
- Some of the benefits of working here include:
- We have an amazing team that will be eager to help you succeed in your role. Learn more about us: http://wayswework.io/features/format
- We pay competitive salaries and have flexible vacation and work-from-home policies
- We frequently celebrate hitting milestones after work (or in the middle of the day if it’s sunny)
- We're proudly self-funded. We answer to our community and no one else!
This is a full-time position based remotely in Europe.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Format is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. You will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, creed, disability, or age.