Reports to: Senior Global Audience Manager
The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a project manager to coordinate creative brand, design, and messaging campaigns. In this role, you will manage media production for international audiences, messaging assets for donors, research projects to interpret the future of free knowledge, and more.
We would like you to do these things:
As Project Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Leading projects from concept to evaluation including day-to-day planning, logistics, and execution of brand, design, and audience development projects
- Developing the roles and responsibilities of projects including project contracts, timelines, communications, and decision-making frameworks
- Assessing project impacts and further opportunities across various media formats, cultures, languages, objectives, and audiences.
- Expanding the capacity of the creative team by creating efficient workflows, establishing clear requirements, and prioritizing activities across the team.
In this role, you’ll collaborate with other Communications staff, Foundation departments, volunteer Wikimedia community members, and external vendors to develop platforms, assets, content, and campaigns.
The Project Manager will
- Build scalable workflows for design and brand projects
- Keep projects on budget and on time
- Establish clear systems for project participation across multiple departments
- Support project leaders to ensure work is on-time and aligned to strategic goals
- Develop best practices for cultural inclusivity to ensure project work reflects multiple perspectives
- Help maintain consistent brand voice and visual style reflecting Wikimedia mission
- Support relationships with a roster of external vendors
- Stay on top of emerging practices, themes, stories, and trends
- Educate internal and external stakeholders on Wikimedia’s creative practices
- Track status of projects and provide weekly/daily status updates
- Schedule and facilitate meetings
- Develop briefing materials for current workflows
We’d like you to have these skills:
The ideal candidate will have
- 2-3 years of relevant project management/production experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Sound judgement with proven ability to make objective data-based decisions
- General knowledge of the creative process i.e. working with creative briefs, setting realistic turnaround times for creative projects
- Passion for creative work and engaging diverse international audiences
- Interest in design and creative industries
- Experience working with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Comfortable in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to develop and measure campaigns against metrics
- Experience tracking projects in collaborative tools like Asana
- Ability to organize information quickly, at high and detailed levels
- Solid understanding and command of project management tools
- Flexibility in accommodating rapid change and capacity to learn quickly
- Proven effectiveness when working under pressure
- Facility for communicating effectively from one-on-one to large groups
- Aptitude to manage through diplomacy
- Appreciation for the creative process and skilled at working with creative and production teams
- A deep love for Wikipedia/Wikimedia, the joy of discovery, and empowering the expansion of free knowledge
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Fluency in multiple languages
- Understanding of free licensing and copyright
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Wikipedia, the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects, and our mission of free knowledge for every single person. We help bring new knowledge to people around the world, lower barriers to participation, and make it easier for everyone to share what they know. We do this by keeping the Wikimedia projects fast, secure, and available to all, protecting the values and policies that allow free knowledge projects like Wikipedia to thrive, building new features and tools to make it easy to read, edit, and share from the Wikimedia sites, and by supporting the communities of volunteers who make the projects possible.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location