Do you ever wonder what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.
We want people who are passionate about helping developers build and deploy real world applications.
We are looking for a director to lead a development team focused on building incredibly intuitive user interfaces. Reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, this person will lead a team that works across engineering to create a frictionless client experience.
DigitalOcean is loved by developers for its simplicity. This is an opportunity to lead a new team focused on the complete DigitalOcean cloud client experience. With a strong brand and experienced engineers partnered with a great design team, you’ll have what you need to run high-volume real world experiments that drive business results.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Working across teams and functions to deliver amazing user experience features to our customers.
- Driving a high-performance culture within your team that iterates frequently and learns continuously without sacrificing product quality.
- Setting performance goals for team members; evaluating performance; providing coaching and facilitating professional development.
- Providing technical leadership – best practices, performance, reliability, security and scalability.
- Recruiting and hiring world-class engineers.
- Measuring the software development process to help the team increase deliverability and improve forecasting
What We’ll Expect From You:
- Significant experience managing a high-performing front-end engineering team.
- Demonstrated ability to lead positive change; empower people; cultivate product technology visions and innovative solutions
- Sound business judgment, with a proven ability to influence others and make excellent decisions.
- The ability to adapt and handle multiple competing priorities
- Experience running a technology selection process and leading a major code refactoring
- A data-driven approach with strong analytical skills
- A customer focused understanding of the challenges that face developers when selecting an infrastructure platform, and a vision for how great products can help
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to work closely across teams and manage dependencies.
- Experience with Go or Ruby is a plus.
- Experience with Mobile and Desktop app development is a plus
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.