Please be aware this job posting is over 1 month old, and is likely not accepting any more applicants
Millions of people experience real-life adventures with our apps. We help users all over the world discover the best hiking and biking routes, working to empower everybody to explore more of the great outdoors. And we’re good at what we do: Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times—and we are consistently ranked amongst the highest-grossing apps in both Google Play and the App Store.
One key driving factor to our growth has always been our understanding that a technological approach can provide an outdoor experience far beyond the possibilities of traditional services. On the one side, we collect, combine and process various open data sources (such as OSM and Wikipedia) and turn raw data into easily accessible information and understandable products, such as our easy-to-use outdoor route planner. On the other, we leverage the wisdom of our vast user base and use crowdsourced data for personalized, local outdoor recommendations. Now, with your strong analytical skills and your passion for building well-crafted and tested code, we’ll leave traditional, standard solutions even further behind—and we’ll truly change the way people explore.
Your key responsibilities
- Implement new features closely together with our web and mobile developers, designers, copywriters and product managers.
- Develop and tune algorithms to leverage our content recommendation, rankings, content analyses and product smartness.
- Build new and improve existing micro-services, primarily in Java/Kotlin and Python.
- Use the AWS ecosystem to build resilient and high-performing systems.
Why you will love it
- You’ll work on a global product that inspires millions of users.
- You’ll get system access on your first day, as we know you are a smart and responsible engineer.
- You’ll take ownership over your projects from day one (from concept to implementation; testing, deployment and monitoring).
- Your challenging tasks will keep improving your skills and keep you up-to-date with the latest technologies.
- We have a wide range of diverse challenges, in particular in the GIS domain.
- We believe good ideas count more than hierarchies.
- You’ll work together with enthusiastic engineers, hikers and cyclists.
- You’ll travel together with our team to amazing outdoor places several times a year to exchange ideas, learnings and go for hikes and rides.
- We let you work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, our headquarters in Potsdam or anywhere else that lies between the time zones UTC-1 and UTC+3.
You will be successful in this position if you
- Are highly self-driven, responsible and keen to learn and improve.
- Know your toolkit: git, ssh, bash, junit, jenkins and docker.
- Have deep experience (4+ years) in developing software running under high load
- Possess professional experience in Java and Python.
- Have demonstrable knowledge of common algorithms within the machine learning and statistics space.
- Have strong analytical skills.
- Love to tune, test, simulate and evaluate solutions to unusual problems.
- Live and breathe DevOps and believe in automated testing, infrastructure as code, continuous deployment, monitoring and open communication.
Sound like you?
Then send us the following:
- Your CV.
- A write-up explaining who you are and why you are interested in working at komoot.
- Examples of your work (e.g. GitHub, PDFs, Slideshare, etc.).
- Something that shows us a little more about what you’re interested in, be it your Twitter/Instagram account or your blog.
- As we love people that go the extra mile, you’ll get bonus points for doing something creative with komoot.
We Love What We Do
Komoot is the world’s leading outdoor app. We offer modern explorers best-in-class tech so that hikers and bikers have topographic maps, turn-by-turn navigation, recommendations on cool places and more at their fingertips.
The Freedom To Rock Your Craft
The world’s leading outdoor app, komoot hires the best folks to do what they love. Have a passion for the great outdoors and an ability to get things done? You might be the superstar we’re searching for.