Please be aware this job posting is over 1 month old, and is likely not accepting any more applicants
Location: Remote Work Opportunity!, Multiple Countries
Department: Frontend Engineering
Type: Contracted to Full Time
Min. Experience: Experienced
We are a diverse team from around the world working together on a mission to make DuckDuckGo the world’s most trusted search engine, and we want your help!
Join us as a front end engineer and become part of the team leading the technology that powers the DuckDuckGo search experience.
As part of our growing team, you will be collaborating with team members at all levels to identify and close major gaps in the search engine. Examples of projects you might work on include building out features and functionality of our Instant Answers or running experiments to improve the usability of our search results. Over time, you will be directly responsible for features on the search engine results page (SERP) and take ownership over product maintenance and improvement.
We are a remote company, meaning our employees can work wherever they want around the world. We empower our team to be self-directed and self-motivated in their projects. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values -- Build Trust, Question Assumptions, and Validate Direction -- you'll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Lead development of projects by taking vague problems, scoping them into high impact projects, and executing them against a set of success criteria
- Play a key role in improving the software architecture
- Collaborate with peers on product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across all permutations of settings, devices and browser
What we are looking for:
- Significant front end engineering experience with large web applications
- Experience designing software architecture
- Familiarity with MVC/MVVM concepts and how they apply to JS applications
- Experience running data-driven experiments
- Comfortability working in a messy code base
- Effective project management skills
- Experience mentoring other developers and working cross-functionally, especially with UI/UX designers.
- Creative problem solving, initiative, and strong communication skills
- Must be familiar with a Linux Environment
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. * You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days)
- We want to have a major impact on raising the standard of trust online. To do this we believe in a focused approach, with company-wide objectives, and with each team member working on a single top priority at a time.
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to lead projects.
- All projects are run transparently, and we encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you using the application below.