Medic Mobile is growing! We're seeking talented, dedicated, and passionate senior developers to join our remote software development team. We are looking for candidates that can be full-stack web developers, with at least one new team member with extensive front-end experience. The dev team is part of our multidisciplinary product team that designs, tests, and builds mobile and web tools for health workers in some of the hardest-to-reach areas in the world.
At Medic, creative solutions to complex problems are the norm. We work in environments with extreme constraints and are inspired by how technology can bridge gaps and reinvent workflows. We’re also a team of realists and shape our tools based on what is most useful and sustainable for our users and partners. Some of our users have never used a touchscreen before; others have several of their own devices. Many of our users work in low-connectivity environments. Our developers help build tools to improve lives by making sure health workers feel supported, informed, and connected to their peers, managers, and patients.
- Are an experienced developer comfortable forging ahead independently and collaborating effectively with a remote team across many time zones.
- Can communicate effectively in English over video and text chats as part of a results-focused distributed team.
- Have developed, deployed, and maintained production web applications.
- Are productive in a UNIX-like environment: you can script your way out trouble, and build software you need from source code if necessary.
- Understand the basics of database systems, and can become proficient with any one of a wide variety of them without too much trouble.
- Are capable of picking up front-end JS frameworks, such as AngularJS, ReactJS, even better if you are already a master with one of them.
- Enjoy working closely with and learning from designers to iterate upon solutions and solve problems together.
- Are interested in understanding and serving our end users.
- Have a reliable and fast internet connection and a quiet place to collaborate with remote team members.
- Design and build world-class software deployed at scale to support health workers in their efforts to save lives in the last mile of healthcare.
- Have a fast-paced, impact-driven culture. We feel the urgency to deliver tools now. We’re constantly improving because health workers deserve world-class tools with an awesome user experience.
- Are looking to add several developers to our team, including one with a passion for UX and experience with contemporary front-end development standards.
- Are a family of teammates – project managers, designers, developers, technical leads, and partnership specialists – with offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, Kathmandu, and remote teammates in more than 11 time zones. We believe in collective success and have a culture of pitching in where needed, even if it’s outside our job description.
- Are passionate about open source software development and open standards. Our tools are primarily built using web technologies. Check out this overview for more details.
- Work with a variety of governments, health ministries, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), partner organizations, and otherwise awesome people located around the world.
The Senior Web Developer reports directly to Medic Mobile’s Chief Technology Officer, and is responsible for the full development life-cycle of Medic Mobile’s web-based mobile health software.
Software Development: 85%
- Design, build, document, and ship software that improves healthcare outcomes in the developing world.
- Work with Medic Mobile and its clients along the entire software development life-cycle: understand client problems, capture requirements, design modular software systems, write great software, and document everything along the way.
- Participate in daily stand-up meetings, weekly iteration reviews, and monthly milestone reviews.
- Learn new languages, platforms, toolkits, libraries, tools, and application development paradigms as necessary.
- Contribute directly to open-source and free software projects as appropriate.
Strategic Planning: 5%
- Work with the CTO and development team to guide platform development and technical strategy.
- Evaluate tools and technologies; develop long-term software and platform roadmaps.
Team Support: 10%
- Consult on technical needs for larger-scale deployments, including local hosting, SMS aggregators, app scalability, etc.
- Work collaboratively with designers to turn user insights into new features and interfaces that help empower our users.
- Work with the design team to provide input on UI and UX design strategy and best practices.
- Review and provide feedback on mockups for proposed UX/UI improvements.
- Work with regional tech leads in Africa and Asia on configuration of Medic’s toolkit as needed.
- Provide remote troubleshooting support to active deployments as needed.
About Medic Mobile
Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, Medic Mobile develops free and open-source tools that support various health program areas. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile to register every pregnancy in their community, ensure that infants are immunized against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Our workflows and tools are designed through a human-centered process and we study our impact to determine what scales. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60 partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia, our technology supports over 16,000 frontline health workers, improving health systems for over 11 million people.
If this sounds like a role you'd like to take on, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Senior Software Developer" as the subject. Please include your resume and a cover letter letting us know why you'd be a good fit at Medic Mobile.