Who are we?
Headquarters: New York, NY
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 full- and part-time alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognized as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.What we are looking for:
We are looking for a talented & creative engineer to join our infrastructure team, and help build the tooling and systems that enable the rest of our Engineering team to build faster and more efficiently.
Some other things that would be really nice to have ..
- You have 3-5 years as a senior level engineer or higher
- You have advanced experience building distributed systems that interface in async and synchronous manners
- You have experience working with a variety of languages, with a strong grasp of their pros & cons
- You're a kind & respectful person, invested in contributing to a wonderful team culture
- You are occasionally enthusiastic to the point of being profoundly uncool
- You get insanely excited by at least 1 thing that has absolutely nothing to do with computers
What we build:
- AWS experience with the core feature set (EC2, RDS, EBS, CFN, IAM, VPC, ECS)
- Intimate knowledge of Configuration Management systems like Chef, Ansible or Puppet, and a DevOps mentality
- Familiar with how to orchestrate multi-system deployments in a fault tolerant fashion
- Rails experience
- Strong front-end development skills (React)
We are organized into small cross-functional product teams (a PM, a designer, a few devs) that focus on growing a single product from glimmer to game-changer. Each team is free to determine their own tools & process. What are these teams working on?What it's like to be on the team:
We <3 remotes!
- We use GitHub for code review, Code Climate and Semaphore to keep entropy at bay, and Heroku to focus on building things
- We favor trying new things over fear of mistakes
- We are anti-dogmatic: use whatever code editor you like, pair-program when you like
- We try to seek a balance between sticking with what works and fearlessly exploring the new
- We are always learning, always teaching
- We are passionate about writing good code
- We apologize for and learn from our mistakes
- We have worked hard to build a culture of trust, continual improvement, and mutual support
Even though GA is headquartered in New York City, more than half of our engineering team is not. We remote in from little towns and big cities from California to the Netherlands. And even our New York devs spend the odd day working from home or elsewhere.
We are serious about making remote collaboration work, with tools like Slack, Zoom/Hangouts, JIRA/Confluence, and Screenhero are a big part of our daily lives.
We fly the whole engineering team to New York for a few days at least twice a year of workshops, lightning talks, urban adventures and an epic hackathon.Benefits:
Position is full-time with competitive salary, stock options and great benefits. Benefits include:
- All locations: 401k or equivalent, Apple Macbook Pro with external monitor.
- USA only: Medical + dental + vision insurance, Apple iPhone with cell plan.
To apply: Apply here: https://boards.greenhouse.io/generalassembly/jobs/29901#app